h1

Fathoming-out our depth sounder

June 28, 2012

Depth Sounder original Aberdour

It was long overdue. I’d put it off time and time again. I’d looked at it. I’d prodded it, and yes …eventually I managed to ‘break’ our Macwester Malin’s Nasa Clipper Duet depth sounder transducer.

Once broken, I considered replacing the whole system, but being handed a replacement transducer by a friend at our club within a few hours of brandishing the broken part to the world, was too much of a gift horse for me to look at.

As it happened I ended-up buying another replacement transducer online as I wanted the manufacturer’s mounting system too, so I just bought it all together. Although I had plenty of advice, most of the installation process was carried out single-handedly which meant a lot of trips back and forth down into the mud. I enlisted help for the final assembly though, as that is definitely a two-man job. Here’s a quick run down of the process:

original fitting

The original transducer was installed using a bespoke mounting solution. This had worked well, but there must have been a fair bit of strain on the transducer as the only thing holding the external mount on was the transducer and some adhesive/sealant.

original mount detached

Although very tight, I had a wee bit more space to work in than when I took the very top photo taken in Aberdour.

aligning the mount internally

I started off by aligning the mount internally. I needed to drill two additional holes to take the weight of the mount. I drilled very small guide holes and then checked and made adjustments externally. I repeated the process again only enlarging the previous holes, and then finally drilled holes to the right size in the right place.

checking the alignment

Checking that it all fitted together along with the bespoke piece of teak (provided at very short notice by a friend), which is an essential addition to the installation kit. Incidentally the teak was reclaimed from the “Willie Muir”, a paddle steamer built in 1879 to provide a passenger service across the Firth of Forth.

finsished job with sealant

Finally with help from a friend at the club inside and me in the mud, we assembled the whole system with plenty of sealant. I waited for the tide to reappear. Thankfully our Macwester floated and the new transducer obediently returned our depth sounder back to full working order.

At this stage I don’t have an external photo, as I had rolled around in the dirt enough that day. However I’ll be going back underneath sometime soon to anti-foul the mount, so I may manage to take a snap then.

Nasa Clipper Duet Mounted

Update>> I managed to take a quick photo before I started anti-fouling the mount over the weekend. No photo of the finished painted mount, as my hands got well and truly covered in anti-foul.

Advertisements

One comment

  1. […] including a new depth transducer and speed log. I replaced the depth transducer in 2012 (see here), and the existing speed log works perfectly well. In addition I decided to retain the old display […]

    Like



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: