h1

Green light in run-up to the new season…

March 7, 2013

NavLight01
One month to go until crane in …and we’re in full swing preparing for the new season. Amongst other things, We’ve fixed our yacht’s internal electrical fault with the generous help of our club sparkie, who quickly spotted an earthing problem that I simply couldn’t see. While he was checking over our electrics, he commented that our batteries were impressively meaty and that we had all the electrical bells and whistles. Good news. Hopefully, we’ve also fixed the transducer problem which (having already replaced/tested 100% of the hardware) I’m now pretty much convinced was an electrical fault, but we won’t know for sure until our Macwester Malin floats on the 6th of April.

DinghyAf01

Additionally, we’ve fixed a separate electrical fault with one of our navigation lights (see top). We’ve fixed the broken rollock on the dinghy and the gelcoat puncture in our dinghy’s little keel and as you can see in the photo above we’ve quickly splashed some of last year’s anti-foul on her bottom.

Powerwasher01

And… we’ve polished our Macwester Malin’s propeller. We’ve fitted a chunky stainless steel hoop in the centre cockpit for attaching lifelines. We’ve power-washed the hull and decks with a friends ride-on uber-power-washer. Okay, it’s not actually a ride-on, but it’s a duel-powered-steam-breathing monster. See above and below for evidence.

CleanDecks01

In addition, we’ve bought a replacement stern gland, opting for a mechanical seal made by ‘John Crane’. The previous Allpa seal has been removed and I’m now in the process of sourcing additional stainless steel components for the stern gland installation, including a 1/2 x 1/4 straight reducer (3 components) and a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 reducing Tee (see 5 component solution below). This has proven difficult as the required parts are not available off the shelf, so the only option is to make them up from 316 stainless steel components. Incidentally, many thanks to John of ‘Flow Technology’ in West Yorkshire who informed me that I was searching for something that simply didn’t exist and, despite having the component parts available, put me on to ‘Complete Stainless‘ in Cumbernauld who are much nearer.

SS316TeeBits01

Where was I? Ah, yes, we’ve bought six new size four Majoni navy blue fenders. We’ve bought a spare boat hook, and as I mentioned previously we’ve bought 5 litres of antifoul paint, some more navy braid-on-braid rope, various shackles, carbine clips, grease and other stuff that I can’t recall.

I’m fully focussed on the must-do-before-we-hit-the-water list over the remaining weekends. That’s mainly fitting the stern gland, re-aligning the engine, re-commissioning the engine, applying the anti-foul paint, and reinstalling the mooring. Any other jobs can happen after crane-in, but the aforementioned all need to be dealt with this month.

It’s gonna be busy, but it’s gonna be good!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: