h1

Shakedown encore

April 29, 2014

Three Forth Bridges

With poor weather forecast for the weekend, we weren’t convinced that we were going to get out on the water at all. However as we approached our Macwester Malin’s mooring on Saturday morning, we were pleasantly surprised at how calm the sea state was. The wind and rain were also much less apparent than the forecast had suggested.

Bridges in the mist
After a bit of consideration, we decided to go for a second helping of Port Edgar, and set a course for South Queensferry once again. Typically we would have opted for some variation, but the reality is that we’ve become reasonably risk-averse in the wake of our over-ambitious force 8 outing (see here), and Port Edgar is both sheltered, and close-by …not to mention accessible at low water. While the east coast haar (pictured above) regularly threatened, the weather was kind to us, particularly on Saturday evening (see below).

Macwester Malin ketch sunset
It’s fair to say that there was a bit of a déjà vu around our stay, however we enjoyed the weekend nonetheless. On the return leg home, the problems with our genoa continued, and we had to pop our twin-keel Macwester Malin back on her drying mooring with the genoa intent on flapping around, despite being ‘furled’ with a make-shift bungee. We made further adjustments and managed to furl the sail properly, however we really will need to find a permanent solution sooner rather than later.

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. Might have missed the point but could the furling problem just be that there is insufficient turns of sheet /rope on the drum when you first attach the genoa to the groove? Next time its open you could manually wind several more turns round the drum or remove the genoa again and add an extra layer of coils before refitting?

    Like


    • Hello Peter,

      Thanks very much for your suggestion. That typically is a possible source of this kind of problem, but in this instance the problem is down to the angle that the rope comes out of the drum.

      It worked fine last season, but following the new sacrificial UV strip being fitted the wrong way around, we wound the sheet/rope the opposite way around the drum (clock-wise this year rather than anti-clockwise last year). This means that our UV strip protects the sail, but it also means the rope exits the drum at a different angle, and it’s catching on the edge of the slot in the drum …despite adjusting various fittings and components.

      Our solution will be to turn the drum around about 45 degrees, but that will require an additional hole being drilled in the drum for securing.

      I hope that makes sense. Thanks once again for your input.

      Happy sailing!

      Like



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: