Flash muster in Aberdour via “the Bay”

September 20, 2015

Leaving our berth behind

With yet more half-decent weather on the forecast, we slipped our Macwester Malin’s mooring for another short break on the Firth of Forth. As you can see from the sea state above, there wasn’t much in the way of wind, so sailing was out of the question.

Macwester Malin stern September 2015

We weren’t a hundred percent sure on our first destination, but with Port Edgar being constantly full due to the commercial contracts they’ve taken on, we ended-up piloting our Macwester Malin to Dalgety Bay. It’s turned out to be our top destination this year. Obviously it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but it’s been a welcome change of scenery for us.

Dalgety Bay radiation

That said, we don’t have small children or pets, and so the concerns about radiation don’t bother us so much. The next morning, I spotted some researchers with what looked like, to a layman like me, geiger counters and back-mounted GPS locators. Although we’re still not concerned, we’re not sure we’d make a habit of eating the local shellfish.

Cockpit lights

We spent two or three peaceful nights alongside the harbour wall. The above picture shows some of the various candles and lights that the crew insists on illuminating our Macwester Malin’s enclosed cockpit with when the sun goes down.

Aberdour beach fire

We set sail for Aberdour on the Friday morning; yachts from our club and from South Queensferry were due to arrive later in the day. A 32ft Westerly Berwick (or possibly a Pentland …or Longbow) with a doghouse was already alongside when we arrived. Roughly eight boats turned up in total, and that resulted in a long night on-board Calloo, our chums’ Moody 31.

The next day was slow to start, but we made it out of bed eventually. As is often the case, we were invited along to a friend’s beach-front house for a lunch time refreshment. Then, in the afternoon, a crowd of us meandered to the beach for a fire and picnic…

Aberdour beach cricket

…as well as rolling around on the sand …which I subsequently understood was supposed to be representative of an English game called cricket.

I managed to score a respectable ‘one’; respectable on the basis that the kids had an under-handed under-arm browling (bowling/rolling) technique on the go, which involved rolling the ball along the sand and into the stumps.

By the time we made it back to the boats, they weren’t far from floating. Even more yachts were due to arrive for Saturday night, and we were in two minds about whether to stay or go. While we were deliberating, a large catamaran appeared in the harbour and rafted-up alongside us. The couple were pleasant enough, but having a large cat rafting off our starboard tipped the balance for us and we decided to head off.

Leaving Aberdour harbour

We left our chums and their yachts behind, but many followed us later on the same tide, while most of the South Queensferry boats stayed for another night.

Approaching Hound Point

The journey back was into a westerly and it was a mildly lumpy here and there, but nothing that went beyond entertaining. Looking back, we made the right choice to leave on the afternoon tide, as the alternative was an early morning departure and having been away for a few days, we really enjoyed a hot shower and a respectably early night at home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: