Crane-in 2016

April 22, 2016

Macwester Malin crane lift

This year crane in went according to plan despite concerns about the neep tide which peaked at 4.8m, with our drying mooring only accessible north of 4m. It’s always a little stressful seeing our Macwester Malin overhead; I’m pretty sure they’re designed to float not fly.


As things turned out, our chum the new piers and mooring rear commodore in charge of crane-in ensured that we were dropped in the drink with plenty of time (thanks K), and we had the luxury of approaching our mooring slowly.

This was just as well, given that I didn’t bother to bring our chartplotter (we never leave valuables onboard and I know where the local rocks are), which provides us with speed over the ground information, and the speed log (which I was relying on because I didn’t bring the chartplotter) wasn’t working …no doubt an antifoul paint issue given that some fool* forgot to spin the log wheel once the paint had dried.


The image above shows the new dingy pontoons to the left of the image, with our target, the orange Hippo buoy and adjacent yellow pick-up buoy to the right of the pontoons at the top of the harbour.


Having been the last yacht to leave our harbour at crane-out 2015, we happened to be the first yacht back in our harbour in 2016 (gotta make every second of the season count).

Our chums in Calloo, the Moody 31 pictured above, arrived shortly after.

Macwester Malin mooring 2016

We had an extended crane-in delivery crew this year as our niece joined us for the journey. Given that crane-in was still underway back at the club, we secured our Macwester Malin and waited for the club rescue boat to come and ferry us back to the action.

Macwester Malin tide out

Safely on the mooring, our Macwester Malin took the ground as planned. Relief all round in our camp.

However there were a couple of problems over the weekend. ‘Caprice’ lost engine power on the way to Port Edgar and for a short while looked as though she was heading for the rocks, until the club rescue boat arrived and a brave chum leapt aboard to save the day. There was also a small collision when one of the yachts (that will remain nameless here to spare online blushes) got a tad up close and personal with a Hunter 26, and a 26ft Colvic didn’t quite get her mooring procedure right and ended up a boat length ahead of where she should have been …but all in all there weren’t any huge mishaps, and on reflection it was one of the smoothest crane-ins we’ve experienced …so a job well done and brownie points to the new piers and mooring rear commodore.



  1. Can anyone tell me what happened to or whereabouts of Malin Cristala Sail No248


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: