MOBster bisque

May 10, 2016


We’ve had a couple of weekends finishing off my big upgrade project and getting our Macwester Malin ready for a shakedown cruise. The good news is that we’re almost ready. Better late than never I guess.

The shot above is one of the few quieter moments in-between long spells of south-easterlies that blew (small) white caps right into the harbour. It was pretty uncomfortable at times, and didn’t ease much at all. Note all six fenders along the port side, plus our old spare white fender.


The weather hasn’t been great since crane-in. It’s been pretty cold and blowy, mainly from the east, north-east, or south-east, with hail and snow into May. Our friend in the 23ft Hunter Horizon parked behind us was waiting for a break in the weather to start a 10-week cruise around the Baltic. As I write this, he had reached Lindisfarne.

The day we put our Macwester Malin back on her mooring, was pretty windy from the south-east. That made it difficult getting off the pontoon, and even though two friends from the club (a Westerly Centaur owner and a Moody 31 owner) were kind enough to crew as ‘her indoors’ was not available, plan A which was to spin round against the gusting wind and tide with the thruster didn’t go to plan, so it was fortunate that we actually had a plan B. Executing that was a challenge, but we just about made it.

I was really glad there were three on board.


Once back on our mooring we continued making improvements over a number of days, including small items on our to-do list like swapping out the kicker rope, which was looking pretty tired.


Later on Sunday (8th May), we locked our Macwester Malin up and then locked our dinghy up on the new pontoons. The yacht highlighted above in the background above is ‘Out of the Blue’.


As I was getting organised on the pontoons, I heard frantic shouts attracting my attention. Two of the crew from ‘Out of the Blue’ were in the water. By the time I had unlocked the dinghy again and arrived on the scene the danger had all but subsided. The skipper looked a little shaken, perhaps because his life jacket hadn’t inflated. One or two onlookers thought that there had been fatalities. Later I heard that the skipper’s head was under that water and he had been being pushed into the promenade by the larger than average waves (still a southerly).

I collected the only oar I could find and towed the dinghy back to the pier. A friend dragged their dinghy up on to the pontoon, which you can just spot top right on the photograph below.

It turns out that a crew member from Ramillies, which sits out at the front of our harbour, had also gone overboard just about half-an-hour before. Three MOBs in the space of an hour is a little out of the ordinary, so the southerly blowing waves right into our sheltered moorings must surely have had something to do with it.


A couple of days later, I made a first attempt at installing a new dinghy mooring off the pontoons. Our dinghy is bottom left on the picture above. It soon became clear that I would need to spend more time refining the installation, as the dinghy had far too much lateral freedom.

At this rate we’ll be lucky to squeeze in a shakedown sail before June.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: