h1

Tender trouble July 2016

August 2, 2016

TenderTroubleJuly2016-01

We hit a snag right from the first moment we arrived at the pontoons at the weekend. Our tender wasn’t attached to the link line at the stern, and by design there was no way of pulling the bow all of the way into the pontoon.

After much faffing around, we managed to get our dinghy within reach.

TenderTroubleJuly2016-02

It didn’t take too long to figure out that the problem had been caused by third-party interference. Somebody had been on board, and presumably in order to get on board they had tied the 2m stern chain around the pontoon. This meant that as the water level rose, there wasn’t enough slack in the system, and the U-bolt had been wrenched out of the transom.

TenderTroubleJuly2016-03

Looking at the evidence, it seemed clear the uninvited guests had been adolescent or adult-sized rather than small kids. They left a trail of mud inside the dinghy, on top of the mud they freely distributed on the exterior of the hull. They also removed or otherwise disposed of our trusty bailer.

I reckon that our dinghy was targeted because she was moored stern to, and (because we use her a lot), much less rain water had collected in her compared to most of the other tenders.

We spent some time on board our Macwester Malin ruminating, and given there wasn’t much we could do as the horse had already bolted, we decided on a change of scenery.

AberdourRegattaJuly2016

Good call. We headed over to Aberdour by car, where the annual ABC regatta was under way. We met up with friends and spent some time on board Joint Venture, followed Chiron, both yachts from our club. The crew on board Chiron had already munched their way through the provisions, and were a little embarrassed that they couldn’t offer us as much as a biscuit (no need). Amusingly, we were offered a falafel sandwich to compliment a Singapore Sling …both of which we opted to pass on.

Later we had a couple of drinks in the ABC clubhouse while the prize-giving ceremony was underway …and the crew from Joint Venture picked-up one of the two cups up for grabs.

TenderTroubleJuly2016-04

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the following day we decided to take swift remedial action to resolve the dinghy problem. I made a temporary repair to the transom so that it’s water tight again, and then I more or less reinstalled the running mooring solution that we had in place in previous years. By my reckoning I could fix the transom and there would be absolutely nothing to prevent the very same twit from turning up for another party on our dinghy a week later. At least now, our dinghy is much less prone to interference.

Hopefully out sailing again soon!

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. Best to use a locked running mooring !

    Like


    • Hi John. Thanks for your comment. We’re now back to a locked running mooring. It’s not perfect but less vulnerable than the pontoons.

      Happy sailing!

      Like



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: