Posts Tagged ‘engine anode’

h1

Prepping for season 2017

April 4, 2017

With the fuel system overhaul behind us, we turned our attention to getting our Macwester Malin ready for crane-in. As you can see from the shot above, she’s got a fresh coat of antifoul paint coupled with a new boot top. The main sail and genoa are back on, and the mizzen followed later.

You probably can’t spot the replacement sprayhood windscreen that we had replaced professionally over the winter. To be honest, we’re a little disappointed as the quality of the replacement material isn’t as good as the Dutch original. However, the windscreen needed replaced and the new one is an improvement, despite falling short of our expectations.

My little helpers kindly re-varnished and painted the dinghy (above left). Then with one week to go, it was time for my least favourite pre-season task, which is as much fun as wading through mud …mainly because it is wading through mud. As the tide receded I reluctantly dragged on my waders and trudged out to our mooring. It was heavy going, as the large and heavy tools and the large and heavy chain relentlessly sank into the energy-sapping putty. All in all it took me two and a half hours to make some alterations to the mooring ground chains including swapping out a couple of shackles, and re-installing the Hippo buoy. On the plus side I avoided face-planting the brown stuff.

Back onboard, I replaced the engine anode, and then proceeded to bleed the fuel system. I had studied the manual and was struggling to understand where the air actually escaped from the system. My chum from Joint Venture offered to help and he realised that our Lombardini diesel has a self-bleeding system, so all that’s required is to prime the fuel …and the air escapes back into the port fuel tank all by itself.

Unsurprisingly, the engine took a few attempts to start due to the fuel system overhaul, however everything was fine when it was up and running. I let the engine warm up a little before shutting it back down again.

We checked the gearbox oil which didn’t need changing. I then set about draining the engine oil. As you can see above, our Lombardini has a dedicated pump on the starboard side of the engine to empty out the oil. I cut a small cross-hatch in the side of a used water bottle and pushed the bottle on to the oil outlet before pumping the oil out. Easy.

I refilled the engine with fresh oil, and then tightened the fan belt which was a tad on the loose side. After a few more checks, I turned on the ignition and the engine burst into life first time.

That’s it. Our Macwester Malin is ready to get her bottom wet. With just four sleeps to go, crane-in and season 2017 is up next!

Advertisements
h1

Nasa Clipper Duet replacement

May 6, 2015

Mooring wide shot May 2015

I took the very first opportunity I had to swap out our old Nasa Clipper Duet (depth and speed) display unit with a brand new one after it became clear at crane-in that the old one wasn’t operational.

NasaClipperDuetDepthLog01

We purchased a full system, which means we have some spare parts to add to the boat’s inventory including a new depth transducer and speed log. I replaced the depth transducer in 2012 (see here), and the existing speed log works perfectly well. In addition I decided to retain the old display unit as there’s a chance that the fault might have been caused by a loose connection.

NasaClipperDuetDepthLog02

Swapping the units over was a straightforward job that took about an hour or so by the time I had read the instructions and double-checked everything. It was during the process of swapping out the display that I realised a loose connection might have been the cause. Either way I was happy that the new display unit was installed.

NasaClipperDuetDepthLogTest01

We headed out on to the River Forth to check that it all worked properly, and we got reassuring readings that were in line with our expectations. It’s particularly good to have the reassurance of knowing what’s under our keels again, rather than using local knowledge, maps, pilot books, and our Garmin chartplotter to avoid shallow water.

Lombardini engine anode

I also checked our Lombardini diesel engine’s anode. It was showing almost no noticeable wear over the last year, so I popped it back in and will check it again during the season. Before calling it a day, we carried out some more small jobs that we didn’t get done before crane-in.

Macwester Malin River Forth mooring

Hopefully we’ll get out for a shakedown sail within the next few days, although the weather has been pretty poor so far this year compared to last year.

%d bloggers like this: