h1

Winterisation 2015

October 27, 2015

Wash me

As I have a large upgrade planned over the coming closed season, I decided to get all of the winterisation tasks completed within a week of our Macwester Malin being craned-out. Thanks to my chum Sandy for the hand-written reminder of my first job (above).

Macwester Malin hull cleaned

As usual, one of the first tasks was to pressure-wash the hull to remove the season’s accumulated grime and fouling, as tackling that job after it all dries out and hardens would take much longer than a half-day hose-down.

Mooring tools

A couple of days later I picked a mild, dry autumn day to remove the mooring tackle. This year I made sure that I had a full set of suitable tools, including a new 24 inch monkey wrench. That alone made a huge difference.

Misty Ghauts at low tide

There have been times when it’s taken me more than one session down in the putty, however with the right tools none of the shackles took more than a few minutes to loosen off. Above: view to the Ghauts with the east coast haar threatening to engulf our mooring.

Hippo buoy and strops

Fortunately the sun kept the haar at bay, and I managed to get our Hippo bouy and the rest of the tackle loaded into a wheel barrow without much drama, although I certainly needed a shower afterwards.

Vandalised dinghy

After the mooring tackle was power-washed and stored for the winter, a day or two later my attention turned to getting our dinghy off it’s mooring. Unfortunately some dim-witted twit (I may have erroneously typed in an extra ‘w’ there) had vandalised the dinghy in the intervening days. There was a bottle and bits of wood in her, and damage to the seat at the stern. Nothing that can’t be fixed, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Dingy parked

This year we parked the dinghy under the bow of our Macwester Malin, and I had to tie the dinghy bow to an old sinker to make sure that the dinghy doesn’t get blown away during the winter storms.

Engine exhaust

As usual, I swapped out the impeller, ran fresh water through the engine using a make-shift reservoir, and then followed that up by running anti-freeze through the system for the winter. Popping a small rag into the exhaust signalled the end of my winterisation tasks. If you want further details, there are links to previous winterisation posts on the right hand side of this page including this one (click here).

Which leaves me the next five months to work on further maintenance and upgrades. Yay!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: